Tuesday 28 May 2013

Ta-dah! Tuesday - Banana and Chocolate Muffins

This is another great recipe for using up over-ripe bananas*, and can go from thought to plate in less than half an hour. The big chunks of dark chocolate all the way through them make them really special - and even if you think you don't like the dark stuff, the sweetness of the bananas offsets it perfectly. My boys would turn their noses up at 70% cocoa solids chocolate, but they'll devour these. Also, if you use Fairtrade bananas and Chocolate, you'll actually become Gwyneth Paltrow, only with a sense of humour. [Obviously she wouldn't eat them, cos of the wheat, dairy, sugar and fun thing. But she might serve them to Bono]




Ingredients (makes 12)
10oz/275g Self Raising Flour
1tsp bicarb soda, pinch salt
3oz/75g sugar
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 egg, beaten
2 fl oz/50 ml milk
3 fl oz/75 ml oil (veg/sunflower)
4oz/100g bar dark chocolate, smashed while in the wrapper using a rolling pin.


Method
  • Preheat oven to 190c
  • Sift the flour, bicarb, salt and sugar into a bowl and make a well in the centre.
  • Add the bananas, egg, oil, milk and chocolate and stir briefly to combine. The mixture will be quite lumpy, this is fine.
  • Spoon into paper cases in a muffin tin, or silicon muffin moulds.
  • Cook in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until they look like this:

  • Amazing warm or cold.


Lakota x

I've missed loads of your posts during my moving/home schooling/no internetz hiatus - so link link link below!

*Yes, I purposefully buy bananas so they can go brown and have to be used in cake recipes.

24 comments:

  1. Ooow - those look gorgeous! AND we keep having too many bananas ripe at the same time and are getting a bit overloaded with banana milkshake cake, so will try these very soon!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. so happy you are back and ta-dahing again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delish!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. God I've missed you. So, so much. I climbed a rusty wire fence in a silk cocktail dress. I reckon that's pretty fucken Tah-Dah! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! I have a bowl full of skanky bananas...I might just have to do some baking...at least it's a half term activity that we don't need good weather for!x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed you!!!!! Lovely idea even if I don't like banana flavoured things!x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have any Ta-Dah's, but it's nice to see you again! The muffins look delicious - anything with chocolate and banana can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh too delicious.
    I am coming over for a cuppa.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this recipe. It sounds delicious. I have copied it down and will try it next time the bananas go brown!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back into blogland, Lakota :-D

    Now this is the sort of muffin I like (unlike a muffin-top that is!) - you can't go wrong with those as everyone loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I save bananas too! These look so good x

    ReplyDelete
  12. You made my mouth water with those muffins. Two of my favourite flavours in one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man I am drooling. Banana and chocolate? Love it!! I like to make that frozen banana ice cream and drench it in chocolate sauce so can only imagine how yummy those muffins are.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not normally a particularly chocolatey person, but this could turn me. They look delish! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! These look scrummy. I tried your banana pancakes - we love those!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh so so so yummy.....tummy is grabbling......
    love V

    ReplyDelete
  17. Winter left me with an endless cold and with many extra kilos on, so this is the perfect post to gain a little more before showing my pale body on a beach!
    They looks delicious, I often use bananas if I bake muffins or cakes for the kids and this recipe sounds so quick and easy!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the chocolate and banana combination so I'll probably give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  19. yummy!

    -liv
    http://chocolivlovelaugh.blogspot.kr/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Why have I not added chocolate chips to my banana bread? Because you are more awesome than I but now I know. Now I know. This recipe sounds mighty tasty!
    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh these are absolutely going onto my 'to bake' list. Banana AND chocolate!? Combination made it heaven!!

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  22. They look delicious! We are terribly guilty of buying bananas, only to watch them darken in the fruit bowl, so now we can turn them into something edible!
    Gwynnie would have a fit at the very thought of these... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Also, you can freeze the brown bananas very easily and use them when you like. HA! I sound as though I actually know something but I don't really - as if I would ever bake anything - but my marvellous sister in law does bake me delicious gluten free banana goodies and she always a freezer full of disgusting brown bananas. Also, they are delicious as gluten free options for us poor coeliacs, who miss out on all the yummy things!

    Welcome back, lovely, I've missed you!

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - it's no fun unless I know what you think!

If you ask a question others might want answering too I'll reply here in the comments - if it's personal, I'll reply directly by email if you're set up.