Tuesday 31 July 2012

Ta-dah! Tuesday - Minute Make - Map Letter

Hello, bit late this morning as we've had a busy weekend away and I hadn't written anything for today's post. But hey, the fact that I did this project all of 10 minutes ago proves that it really is a minute make! I picked up the plain wooden letter 'Z'  - for our surname - at Allders department store for just a couple of quid as they're sadly in administration again. [Although it's good for sale bargains]. The very very elderly motoring atlas of Great Britain was 10p at a boot sale as it was over five decades out of date and completely falling apart. 

I found the page with South Wales and simply stuck it down to the letter with decoupage glue before cutting around it with a razor blade. The previous owner of the atlas has made disparaging comments in pencil all around the coast -  for Gower it says 'beautiful bays, popular, but no hotels. Mumbles might be OK if desperate'. Charming! Mind you, some of the B&Bs along the coast road have been there since the ark docked further down the bay. Carmarthan is deemed 'disappointing' and 'useless for visitors as shut on Sundays'.

X marks the cultural hub that is Pontardawe. We were the village with a nightclub - a sticky-carpeted mecca for valley boys and girls



Did you watch the Opening Ceremony for the Olympics? I had a great time with the other half, a bottle of wine and Twitter - it really comes into its own when massive cultural events are televised, even if you're not usually a fan. I thought Danny Boyle did an incredible job, my tongue even removed itself from my cheek on one or two occasions. If you fancy saying hi - I'm @FHCShopping.

Oh, and the Christening was lovely. Sorry to disappoint but Boy2 behaved impeccably in the Church and afterwards, where my sister had laid on enough cakes to feed to the five thousand (most of whom had been invited). The boy of the moment - nephew Gethyn - is a complete doll, although he was happier once out of his Christening gown. It belonged to his great-grandmother, clearly he's not a fan of vintage yet.

Baby G

What have you been up too? Link up below as usual.

Lakota x

35 comments:

  1. Oh I like this very much - maybe I could make one for my husband. Looks fab on the shelf! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to try map letters or some sort of decoupage letter, your Z turned out great! I'm about to hunt you down on twit..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like this lots. What a great idea and I may have to have a go. I've got a stash of Welsh maps...not that I'm still homesick after 20 years away mind. I might have to make a WALES verion.
    Nice to have useful comments from the past user! Cammarthen disappointing? I think not. He should have tried Newport!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh i used to live in mumbles and i thought it was pretty fancy....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mumbles is lovely Sian, it's good enough for CZJ after all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks lush. I have some old London A-Zs hat I've been meaning to do similar with.

    LOL at the disparaging comments! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this make, we have so many items like this around our home featuring names, initials and maps but there's always room for one more! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea. The previous user's commentary made me laugh, if you aren't impressed by the Gower, then God help you!
    Pleased to hear you got through the christening with no embarrassing incidents from either your boys or their parents.
    Yes, I enjoyed the opening ceremony too, more than I expected to actually. The kids are quite enthusiastic about watching all sorts of sports they haven't seen before, which is leading to some unexpected arguments - "Muuuuum, Owen wants to watch the weight lifting but I'm watching the water polo". Good thing it's only once every four years! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a truly handsome baby!

    Fantastic crafty Z.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A gorilliant idea Lakota. Hmmmmmmm, my daughter the Princess has a heavy letter in a garish colour in her room. Thinking of recovering it now, rather than chucking it.
    Ta dearest.
    Gem x x

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Gower is beautiful.We had a couple of great family holidays there when the children were small. We have a lot of maps I'd like to cut up but my husband wouldn't be too happy. He too has the habit of writing comments which are quite fun when you come to look at them years later.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gab idea amor!
    The last owners comments made me laugh.
    You could make another "Z" to use as a pair of bookends too.
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good looking baby G. :) Love that letter Z you did. Quick and easy and perfect on the shelves as book ender or something. :) Clever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We did watch the opening and boy was it spectacular! Boyle did a great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness I love this! I loved it even before I read it was South Wales on the map and realised that the town I went to school in was on there! Almost brought a tear to my eye ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha ha, I love the disparaging comments!
    I work in a Museum and just today found a postcard with a photo on the front of a young man in a heart shaped frame - very romantic. On the back was written: 'This is a photograph of the lad who jilted me. Now long dead.' (!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that! Jon's got a huge stash of old maps, I just need to find a letter! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Z looks great! And I love that it only took a few minutes. I might actually do this project since it's so quick and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. that's hilarious! What else have they got to say? Very cool idea and a great way to use old maps and have them on display. I'm still cracking up over your child repeating "evil, evil, evil..." at the christening.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loving this! And I joined in this week too - with an appropriately map-themed craft :)

    Katie xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Too funny about the comments on your map.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lynn Dylan here! Nice to meet you. You are so witty! I loved reading the comments from the map and about the christening. I really do like your letter Z. Very clever. I may try it out here for a display somewhere. I am trying to change things up instead of having the same things sitting in the same spots for years on end.

    xx
    Lynn a.k.a. Dylan

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really like this idea! I will be keeping my eye out for some wood letters on a good deal.
    =D

    ReplyDelete
  25. p.s. Baby G is ADORABLE what beautiful big blue eyes he has.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oooh that looks fab on your shelf!!

    The only time I followed a live twitter trend thingy was when my friends were playing live on tv, they got some really nasty comments from people, so I wanted to kill all of twitter that night...it's kinda put me off now. People seem to take out their claws on twitter

    ReplyDelete
  27. It would take me waaay more than 10 minutes to do this Lakota. I'd have glue all over the place and air bubbles everywhere!
    Might have something ready in time for next week's Taa-Dah x

    ReplyDelete
  28. love the idea of using the map on the letter, makes it really personal

    ReplyDelete
  29. A very neat job for ten minutes! I'm impressed. I think my town would have been on the next page. I moved to London for 6 years and then the pull of the Valleys dragged me home! Hiraeth.
    So hope your print arrives tomorrow.
    AnnaX

    ReplyDelete
  30. That is such a clever idea! It looks great. Enjoyed the opening ceremony too, especially the forging of the rings! Though - small point - I would have preferred if the Northern Irish children's choir sang 'O Danny Boyle' for the lolz :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Cool project- Madame CRafter.

    PS: What's your email address- methinks I need to convo you. -Bella@thecitizenrosebud.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I wonder what the map's previous owner had to say about Merthyr? Or is that something that can't be said on a family blog?

    I didn't realise you were Welsh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - it's no fun unless I know what you think!

If you ask a question others might want answering too I'll reply here in the comments - if it's personal, I'll reply directly by email if you're set up.