Wednesday 26 January 2011

An interesting mix...

We had fruit salad for pudding this evening. I know, I know, hold the front page. But it gave me the opportunity to use some of my recent buys, and although they're all from different eras, I think they sit together perfectly.

The really heavy glass bowl was a charity shop find for £2.00, sitting unloved and dusty with various lonely pint glasses and cloudy pyrex on a bottom shelf. I'm not sure when it was made (similar things on Ebay are helpfully described as 'vintage') but would guess at the 1950s. I love the starburst in the base.


I have six of the little sundae dishes, which are helpfully so art deco that there's no doubt they're from the 30s. They probably deserve something more glamorous than some chopped satsumas. Finally, there's the fun and frivolous silver plated 'shell' spoons. At least, that's how I see them. My late Gran had a set, which I remember clearly from my childhood. For some reason, ice-cream or a banana split was a far more of a treat eaten with one of these. Anyway, I don't know what happened to hers, but when I found a set of six with a serving spoon at a boot fair, I was really pleased to pay £3.00. They might not be worth much, but I always think of her when I use them.

1 comment:

  1. Great glass wear, in my local secret charity shop they have so much glass they dont know what to do with (they even admitted they threw a lot out) - its really cheap too but due to lack of space I havent been able to rehome it :o( Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - it's no fun unless I know what you think!

If you ask a question others might want answering too I'll reply here in the comments - if it's personal, I'll reply directly by email if you're set up.